19 January 2012

Original Advanced Dungeons and Dragons is Back!

Wow.

First Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons -- yes, the version penned by the Grand Sorcerer Gary Gygax himself -- will be sold by Wizards of the Coast again.

Think I've been sniffing too much of the black lotus leaves? Well, check out their online catalog (scroll down a bit).

Here is the blurb for the '1st Edition Premium' versions of the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master's Guide:
In 1974, the world changed forever when Gary Gygax introduced the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game. The legacy of his innovative ideas and the extensive reach of his powerful influence can be seen in virtually every facet of gaming today.

To help honor his work and his memory, we created limited-edition reprints of the original 1st Edition core rulebooks: the Monster Manual, Player's Handbook, and Dungeon Master's Guide. These premium versions of the original AD&D rulebooks have been lovingly reprinted with the original art and content, but feature an attractive new cover design commemorating this re-release. Available in limited quantities as a hobby channel exclusive in North America.

Your purchase of this monumental book helps support the Gygax Memorial Fund—established to immortalize the “Father of Roleplaying Games” with a memorial statue in Lake Geneva, WI.
I'm not sure exactly what the blurb means by "an attractive new cover design", but I hope that the original cover art by Trampier and Sutherland will be included in some form. Also, I'm annoyed, but not surprised, by the omission of Dave Arneson's name in reference to the original 1974 version of D&D. (Poor Dave still gets inadequate recognition...)

Nonetheless, this is pretty amazing news. A victory for the 'Old School Renaissance' indeed!

These books will be available April 17th.

9 comments:

  1. Hey Wulfgar22, "North America" includes Canada! :)

    And I'm sure that once Noble Knight gets copies they will ship overseas (likewise e-Bay resellers).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. Sorry.

      I hope you're right...but even more I hope they manage to find their way into UK shops so shipping doesn't becomes an issue.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps this is a bone that they are throwing out to us old timers. They are having their whole 'come tell us how to make 5th edition better' push. They know that us old vets who had our hearts ripped out with 4th edition are still pretty pissed off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if it is a move by WOTC to try and redeem themselves, it might just work - at least with me. I am in for at least one set, maybe two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited, but I fear that WoTC will use the same shoddy construction quality and binding that was used with the 4th edition books. I will actually pass on these books if this is the case. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ack. I just saw the limited edition caveat. My local gaming store simply will not be able to get a full set of these in due to poor logistics and bad management. Limited Edition...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Received my AD&D reprints today and they're beautiful. After just a quick scan the only thing that would make me believe they weren't the originals were the cover and the smooth paper. Beautiful books - gold trimmed edges, faux leather covers, blue/red/black bookmarks, and the classic contents we all hold dear!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a Canadian political philosopher who lives primarily in Toronto but teaches in Milwaukee (sometimes in person, sometimes online).